One of the most basic jewelry making techniques to learn is how to wire wrap a briolette gemstone. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create your own wire-wrapped jewelry. It takes a little bit of practice before you get the hang of it, but it’s addicting once you get started!
What you will need:
- Side-drilled gemstone briolette
- Dead-soft wire
- Flat-nose jewelry plier
- Round-nose jewelry plier
- Wire cutter
1. Cut a piece of wire approximately 1.5 inches long
2. Slide the wire through the gemstone and setup the wire so that the right side is a little longer than the left.
3. Using a jewelry flat-nose plier, bend the left side over and angle the right side up so that it forms an “L”.
4. Wind the shorter right wire around the vertical piece 2-3 times. Use a wire cutter to cut the excess wire.
5. Use the jewelry flat-nose plier to bend the vertical piece to the right at an angle. Be sure to leave a small space in between the wrapped wire and the bend.
6. Place a round-nose plier against the long piece of wire and wind around the tool.
7. Wind the remaining wire around 2 times and cut the excess off with a wire cutter.
8. Now your wire-wrapped gemstone is ready to be used in a jewelry piece!